A few small changes in your home and garden during autumn could help you save money on your water and electricity bills — all year round.
Bunnings has some simple tips for making your home and garden more energy and water efficient.
These options are a great way to live more sustainably and less expensively.
Energy saving tips
● When nights get chilly, rug up and throw an extra blanket on the bed instead of turning on the heat or putting an electric blanket on the bed.
These simple options might make a dent in your winter weather bills.
● Make use of carpets and rugs — they are a great form of insulation, as they reduce heat loss through the floor.
● Maximise natural heat and light by leaving your curtains open on cold days to help reduce the need for power heating.
● LED lighting is energy efficient and lasts much longer — making it a great option to help reduce lighting costs and the need to change light globes.
● Instead of using a dryer, hang your clothes on a clothesline or air dryer.
● Use timers, daylight sensors and movement sensors to control outdoor and security lighting.
● Installing solar powered lights in your garden are a great environmentally and cost-efficient option for lighting up your garden or for outdoor entertainment areas.
Water saving tips
● Replace your old single flush toilet cisterns with a dual flush system, you could save thousands of litres of water per year with the "half-flush" option.
● Only turn the dishwasher on when it has a full load.
● Check and repair leaking taps or flow restrictors to ensure you're not wasting water.
● Install a water-efficient showerhead to reduce the amount of water being used daily.
● Collect water in a bucket when showering and use it to water the garden.
● Adding mulch to garden beds reduces the amount of water lost through evaporation, which means that less watering is required.
● Install a grey water diverter from the laundry or bathroom to the garden to reduce the need for watering.
● Think about installing a water tank in the garden to collect rain water that can be used inside and outside the home.
● Details: Visit bunnings.com.au.