Raynor Manalad dies after alleged one-punch assault at Rooty Hill party

Raynor Manalad was a nurse, a brother, a son and a friend. He was a man whose life was ended by a single punch.

Police will allege the recent university graduate was struck once in the face outside a 21st birthday party at Rooty Hill on Saturday.

He was knocked unconscious and died the next day.

[The alleged attack comes after two Sydney teenagers Daniel Christie and Thomas Kelly were killed by single punches in Kings Cross. 

Hugh Bacalla Garth, 21, of Blacktown, was charged with the assault that led to Mr Manalad’s death and will remain in custody until he appears in court on Wednesday.

It is alleged Mr Manalad was trying to intervene in a fight between Mr Garth and his girlfriend when he was struck outside a Rupertswood Road house about 12.30am.

On Monday friends and family paid tribute to Raynor Tristan Castillo Manalad, who recently graduated from nursing at the Australian Catholic Univversity.

One friend described the 21-year-old's final act as “heroic“.

"May God reward you for all the good deeds that you have done especially for the last heroic act you did,” posted Mrv Brnrdo on Facebook.

Another friend, Amanda Jay, said her heart went out to Mr Manalad's family.  

“Yesterday we lost a beautiful life, amazing nurse, friend and son. A truly genuine man who always had respect for everyone,” she posted on Facebook.  

Close friend Alyssa described Mr Manalad as a “beautiful sunset”.

“Hearing about your passing hits me like a ton of bricks. I cannot believe that you are gone,” Alyssa wrote online.

“It hurts that you are no longer alive because you were the person who would always keep the peace in the group,” she said.

Police have said charges against Mr Garth were likely to be upgraded at his next court appearance on Wednesday (May 7).

Raynor Manalad, pictured at his recent graduation. He was the fatal victim of a one punch attack on the weekend. Picture source: Facebook

Raynor Manalad, pictured at his recent graduation. He was the fatal victim of a one punch attack on the weekend. Picture source: Facebook

"The accused had been at a party with his girlfriend ... there was a dispute between them," police said.

In January this year the NSW government passed controversial new laws which introduced mandatory sentences for deadly one-punch assaults.

Under the new law, anyone who fatally punches someone while intoxicated will receive an eight-year jail term. 

Hours before the alleged attack, the accused posted a picture of a Southern Comfort bottle on social media with the caption, "Get it started". 

The mother of the accused said she did not even know her son had been arrested when she was approached by a television journalist on Monday morning.

"My son? Oh my God," she cried.

Mr Garth appeared briefly before Parramatta Bail Court on Sunday charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent, common assault and affray.

He was refused bail and will  appear in Blacktown Local Court on Wednesday (May 7).