PENRITH will honour the heritage of one of the region's earliest manufacturers by building two extra pavilions at St Marys for the Bennett wagons.
The wagons are a reminder of early manufacturing days, in particular around Queen Street and Victoria Park. James Bennett and his two sons produced wagons for the horse-drawn transport of wheat and wool. The wagons went by rail to buyers across NSW from the St Marys goods yard.
The business was established in 1858.
The new pavilions will house two more wagons. There will be a three-sided courtyard and an outdoor learning area. Much of the building material would otherwise have been sent to
landfill. Recovered hardwood fence palings and rusted tree grates will be used and tree stumps will be courtyard seats.
Construction is expected to take about five months.