Fire at Emerton Village

Around 100 people were evacuated as a precaution after a fire broke out at Emerton Village shopping centre on Saturday morning (July 26.

Firefighters arrived at the scene at 7.30am after a power outage caused a major explosion inside a high voltage transformer located one metre from a wall of the centre.

The fire spread to a storeroom inside the centre where newspapers were stored on shelves.

Five units attended the scene including Mount Druitt, Dunheved, two St Marys crews and Hazmat.

‘‘Intense flames impacted on the wall of the shopping centre, which produced thick black smoke,’’ Fire and Rescue NSW western Sydney duty commander Kernin Lambert told the Star.

‘‘We were able to commence an immediate attack to bring the fire under control within 15 minutes and stop it from spreading further.’’

Electricians on site at the time were quick to react and shut down the power supply before fire crews arrived.

‘‘Fortunately, there was no major damage to the shopping centre but the transformer was severely damaged,’’ Inspector Lambert said.

‘‘It was a dangerous situation from our point of view. Crews were dealing with high voltages of electricity.’’

The fire affected power supply at the shopping centre for most of the day.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop